Schatzi: Let’s start off Bake Week with a bang, shall we? And by bang, I mean with a an odd little recipe that happens to taste delightful! I’m talking about Coca-Cola Cake. Being lovers of Coke and fascinated by odd desserts, Eli and I have been hankering to try one of these babies out for quite a while, so I decided to just up and bake one. I used a clipped newspaper recipe I found in the pages of my Betty Crocker’s New Picture Cookbook, which has several recipe cards and clippings stuffed in it, some clippings dated 1970, others dated 1984, all originating in Florida. This was an undated clipping. I looked into Cola Cakes over at the Food Timeline, and would guess that they were indeed a company-manufactured phenomenon. The recipe in my clipping is identical to the one at the Timeline, as well as one published by the Coca-Cola Company, and one found in the White Trash Cookbook. So it’s apparently a very common recipe.
The result is actually very good, but very sweet. The cake itself isn’t too sweet or too chocolatey, but has a faint caramel-like flavor. The icing, on the other hand, is incredibly sweet and fudgelike. But the two go well together; everyone that tried it liked it quite a bit. I was also amazed at the way the marshmallows simply baked into the cake, making it extra silky and springy. One thing: I wouldn’t try it with Pepsi, which to my mind is sweeter and less caramel-tasting than Coke or RC.
Chocolate Coca-Cola Cake
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 1 tsp soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup Coke
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350, and thoroughly grease a 9×13″-pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Bring the butter and Coke to a boil and add to dry ingredients, mixing until well incorporated. Add the buttermilk and eggs, mix well, and then fold in marshmallows. Don’t be alarmed; the batter is very thin and the marshmallows will float on top.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes. Frost when hot.
Chocolate Coke Fudge Icing
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 6 tbsp Coke
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 box powdered sugar (approx. 3 cups)
- 1 cup chopped, toasted nuts
Mix butter, cocoa, and cola in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil. Add vanilla and pour over powdered sugar, whisking well. Fold in nuts. Spread over cake while hot. Let the cake cool entirely before serving so that the icing sets.