Elisha: Here is a recipe for buttermilk biscuits that are really easy. I also use the exact same recipe for dumplings.
Biscuits or Dumplings
- 4 cups flour
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 375 for biscuits. Sift flour into a bowl if you want to be sure to keep the lumps out. Add salt and baking soda.
- Cut in the butter with a fork or if you have a mixer, just dump everything in and mix away. You want the mixture to resemble course flour and there should be no lumps of butter.
- Mix in the buttermilk. Add more for a softer biscuit (or dumpling depending on what you intend this dough to be used for).
- Drop 1/2 cup sized dough balls on to a greased baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
For dumplings just add 1/4 cup size pieces of dough to a soup, broth, or whatever kind of liquid you may want to cook them in. I love these for chicken and dumplings, and also kielbasa, kraut, and dumplings.
By the way:
Kielbasa Sauerkraut and Dumplings
- 1 pack of kielbasa cut into 4 pieces
- 1 28 oz jar of sauerkraut
- 1 recipe dumpling dough
Use a medium sized pot with a lid for this. Heat pot to medium and sear both sides of sausage.
Add all sauerkraut and then add half a jar of water. Bring to a boil then add 1/4cup pieces of dumpling dough. Bring back to a boil, if necessary, then reduce heat to medium low.
Cover and let cook for 20 minutes until dumplings are cooked in the middle. Be careful to make sure there is enough liquid in the pot or the sauerkraut will burn. Check halfway through just to be sure, but don’t remove the lid to much.
Schatzi and I eat this all the time. This is one of the easiest and least time consuming meals I make. We both love to eat this after a day of work when neither of us want to do anything.